Friday, October 17, 2008

Black Kids

Black Kids
Partie Traumatic 2008 Red Int/Red Ink

The Cure's Robert Smith had such a unique and noticeable voice, one that for me, defined the 80's gothic new wave like no other, and within in it, all cracking and desperate, you could feel the emotion pouring from with in him and you could in some ways empathize with whatever he was putting forth. Many vocalists have tried to mimic this voice and failed, and to me it has always seemed half-hearted and it has always been a gigantic turn-off for me. And so now there is this new up and coming band from Florida called Black Kids who's singer Reggie Youngblood at times, unleashes a full-on Robert Smith assault. And here's my conundrum: for the most part I really like the music. It draws upon the greatest of the morose new wave acts like the Psychedelic Furs while in the same turn making it infectiously dancey. And the female vocals only help. Add on top of that, the great, satirical lyrics and the fantastic use of of call and response. My favorite lines have to be (the female vocals are in italics) Abracadabra/Every summer you disappear/Because its so sticky in the dirty south/Oh yeah its hot as balls!/Hey watch your mouth!.And then add to that the fact that Youngblood's low register vocals are brilliantly beautiful and remind me a lot of Jim Kerr of Simple Minds fame. Its almost enough to make me forgive that one thing. But its a glaring thing. Though the more I listen the less apparent it becomes.
So there you go, do with that what you will. For the most part i really like this album. For the most part.

No comments: