Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Emmylou Harris

Emmylou Harris
All I Intended To Be 2008 Nonesuch


Oh, Emmylou Harris, how I love you. Oh, how I think Blue Kentucky Girl is one of the finest albums country and bluegrass have ever known and oh, how I look to your voice as one of the most defining of the genres. And oh, what a joyous treat your 2006 pairing with Mark Knopfler was. And some are saying that your newest album, All I Intended To Be, is the pinnacle of your career. I almost agree.
This album is very good. And I love the way you sing sorrow. But I also love the way you sing joy, and there is very little of that to be found here. To say I don't miss that, would be a lie. However, it is beautifully maudlin, it moves slowly to be sure, but it also quite care-free and the more I listen to it the more I admire it. 'Gold' is one of the high points, featuring amazing backing vocals by Dolly Parton, it feels the most timeless, truly among the greatest in your deep canon. As is 'How She Could Sing the Wildwood Flower,' a fittingly melodic and harmonious tribute to June Carter that seems to float off of your fingers and your lips.
The interspersion of cover songs was an interesting idea and it truly does work. They mesh with the originals so well, in fact, that even if you are familiar with the song, like Merle Haggard's 'Kern River,' its easy to forget that it is not one of your own.
To call this album the most personal of your career, however, would be an understatement. The assembly of so many longtime friends, of such powerful caliber is impressive and the care put into this album is nearly tangible. It sounds as though many old friends and lost loves simply got together and worked through their emotions for each other one song at a time. And though I miss songs like 'Sisters Coming Home,' this is by far the most peaceful you have ever sounded.

No comments: